8 Interior Design Trends That Will Dominate 2022
There’s a lot to consider when selling your home, from the market and appraisals to where you’ll go next. Don’t forget, however, that design is also a key factor. It’s often one of the first things buyers notice when they walk into a home.
So, changes like new security features or upgraded siding can add value to your home now and be highlighted when you market it for sale later. Meanwhile, to get the most out of your updates, focus on these popular home design features that will wow the buyers in 2022.
Apparently, keep in mind, not all of these will work well in every house. If you plan to buy, list or renovate a property, give us a call. So, we can help you realize your vision and maximize the impact of your investment.
Consider how you can leverage eco-friendly design features, like energy-efficient windows, low-flow water fixtures, and native landscaping to save on utility bills now, and afterward you can attract this coveted demographic when it comes time to sell.
Here are a few eco-friendly design features that will be attractive to these millennial buyers in 2022. Bonus, they can net a significant return on investment (ROI) for you, as a seller, too.
- Energy-Efficient Windows: Heat gain or loss from low-performance windows drives 25–30 percent of home heating and cooling costs, according to Energy.gov.4 Therefore, energy-efficient windows can help homeowners save money.
- Low-Flow Water Fixtures: According to the EPA, replacing your shower head with one that’s labeled with WaterSense can save four gallons of water with each shower.5 Doing the same with your faucet can save 700 gallons per year. This leads to cost savings and environmental support.
- Native Landscaping: According to the American Society of Landscape Architects, 58 percent of members report increased client demand for native trees and plants as a means to combat biodiversity loss from climate change.6 Enhance the eco-friendly appeal of your home with some native plants in the front yard.
WELLNESS RETREAT NOOKS
At-home wellness features are on many homeowners’ must-have lists in 2022. Especially, enhancements like reading nooks, spa-inspired bathrooms, and exercise/meditation spaces can improve your current quality of life while adding value to your home.
So, if you don’t have the space to section off an entire room for relaxation, consider simple tweaks, for example letting in more natural light and adding air purifiers or indoor plants.
CALMING PAINT COLORS
Soft earth tones and natural hues will prevail in 2022. Specifically, shades of blue, green, brown, and beige. But choosing the right shade is essential.
Research found that homes with light-blue bathrooms sold for a $4,698 premium, while homes with mint-green kitchens sold for $1,830 less than expected. We can help you to select the best paint color to showcase your space.
Another crowd-pleasing hue to refresh the walls with is BEHR’s 2022 paint color of the year, known as Breezeway.9
HOME SAFETY FEATURES
Today’s consumers want home safety features more than ever, including emergency backup power generation, wider accessible doorways and hallways, and security monitoring equipment.
Buyers want peace of mind more now than ever before. According to a 2021 survey from the American Institute of Architects, members report seeing an increase in the popularity of these home safety features10:
- Emergency backup power generation
- Accommodations for multiple generations
- Wider accessible doorways and hallways
- Home security monitoring equipment
- Interior ramps and home elevator features
Consider how you can build home safety features like these into the design of your home to enhance your quality of life now and attract more buyers later. For example, you could install a backup generator in the garage and sell it with the house or update your major doorways to be wider.
Before making an investment in expensive home safety upgrades, contact us. We can help you determine what will deliver the greatest ROI for your location and goals.
DESIGNATED WORK SPACES
It may come as no surprise that after the pandemic, 63 percent of homebuyers want their next house to feature room for a designated office, according to the National Association of Home Builders.11 In addition, 70 percent of these buyers want the office to be at least 100 square feet (or a 10×10 room).
If you can, consider turning a bedroom or a den into a work-from-home office. When designing the space, make it both functional and aesthetically pleasing. Position a desk near the window for natural light, install a bookshelf unit, arrange a few succulents on the work surface, and hang a few framed posters or a cork bulletin board on the wall. You want the space to foster productivity as well as be a place in your home you enjoy spending time.
When you get ready to sell, we can help you highlight your designated work space. Given the high demand for this design feature, it can help you interest more buyers and attract more competitive offers—if marketed creatively.
LUXURY KITCHEN RETOUCHES
The kitchen has always been a main focal point of interior design, and that’s no different in 2022. Families will always need this space to come together in their own homes.
This year’s buyers want a kitchen with new upgrades and retouches, but you don’t have to renovate the entire kitchen to make an impact. If you’re not sure where to start, here are a few tips on how to create a kitchen that buyers will love without spending too much money on renovations:
- Repaint the kitchen, keeping the calm and nature-inspired colors in mind that are most popular right now. Taking a kitchen from dark to light by painting cabinets and walls can make all the difference.
- Update the hardware. These kitchen “accessories” stand out and add personality to an otherwise standard kitchen.
- Update light fixtures to bring in more light while also adding a fresh look and feel to the space.
UNIQUE ACCENT WALLS
Eye-catching accent walls are hot right now. To incorporate this trend, try painting a single wall black or a jewel tone, hanging textured wallpaper, or installing built-in shelves.
However, if you’re planning to sell in the next year, talk to us first. Depending on your target buyer, it may be a design feature that actually hurts your home’s value.
EXTERIOR SIDING UPDATES
New exterior siding is one of the most cost-effective renovation projects you can undertake.
KEEP THESE INTERIOR HOME DESIGN FEATURES ON YOUR RADAR IN 2022
You don’t need to make all these changes to attract buyers. We can help you to determine which design features are worthwhile by sharing insights and tips on how to maximize the return on your investment. In addition, we can also run a Comparative Market Analysis on your home to find out how it compares to others in the area, which will help us decide what changes need to be made. Contact us to schedule a free consultation!